Are you a person with a developmental disability interested in improving healthcare? Join Special Hope Foundation’s Self-Advocate Advisory Committee!
The Special Hope Foundation is a private family foundation that promotes the establishment of comprehensive health care for adults with developmental disabilities. We provide approximately $800,000 to grantees performing innovative work in healthcare and the self-advocacy field every year.
We believe that individuals with disabilities are disability experts and would like to expand our current Self-Advocate Advisory Committee. Self-advocates will have opportunities to work with Foundation Staff and the Board of Directors to create an impact. Currently, the Self-Advocacy Advisory Committee reviews the proposals that the Foundation receives and provides input on whether or not applicants should receive funding, and whether a proposal is designed well for people with disabilities. We are hoping to go beyond proposal reviews, initiating other projects that would further improve access to healthcare for individuals with developmental disabilities. Your questions and feedback might influence the work of the grantees and change the field.
- Must be a person with a developmental disability
- Have a passion to improve the quality of life for people with developmental disabilities
- Have Internet access with webcam capabilities (we can brainstorm resources for you if needed)
- Be able to attend 2-3 two-hour meetings per year
- Be able to commit to an estimated 20 hours a year including grant proposal review
- Have the ability to make at least a two-year commitment to serve on the Advisory Committee.
If you are interested in participating or have questions, please complete the form below.